Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
|| Banking, Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical, Finance/Economics, Financial Services, Healthcare, Practitioner and Technician, Quality Control, Research & Development, Medical
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 02/19/2020. Basic Qualifications.
Education and/or Experience Combination:
(1) A bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college or university in medical laboratory science, medical technology, clinical laboratory science or in a related science (e.g., laboratory sciences such as chemistry, biochemistry, biology, microbiology, immunology, etc.) AND completion of a medical technology clinical practice program. Clinical practice programs completed after 1974 must have been accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS), Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP, formerly CAHEA), or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES). The professional curriculum may have consisted of a post-baccalaureate certificate program or be integrated into a four-year program of study that culminated in a baccalaureate degree.OR,
(2) A bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university, including 16 semester hours of biological science (with one course in microbiology), 16 semester hours of chemistry (with one course in organic or biochemistry) and one course in mathematics, AND two years of post-certification clinical laboratory experience (e.g., blood banking, chemistry, hematology, microbiology, immunology, clinical microscopy, etc.) within the last ten years as a certified Medical Laboratory Technician by the American Society for Clinical Pathology Board of Certification (ASCP-BOC), American Society of Clinical Pathology Board of Registry (ASCP-BOR) or American Medical Technologists (AMT). This experience must include performing moderate and/or high complexity testing in blood banking, chemistry, hematology, microbiology immunology and clinical microscopy (or categorical experience which matches categorical certification) in a clinical laboratory. OR,
(3) A bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university, including 16 semester hours of biological science (with one course in microbiology), 16 semester hours of chemistry (with one course in organic or biochemistry) and one course in mathematics, AND five years of clinical laboratory experience within the last ten years performing moderate and/or high complexity testing in blood banking, chemistry, hematology, microbiology, immunology and clinical microscopy (or categorical experience which matches categorical certification) in a clinical laboratory. Certification. Candidates must currently possess the appropriate certification as a MT, MLS, or CLS given by the ASCP-BOC, ASCP-BOR, or AMT.In all cases, MTs must maintain their certification from the date of their appointment. Failure to remain certified from date of appointment will result in removal from the GS-0644 MT series. Preferred Experience: Experience in ancillary testing. GRADE DETERMINATIONS
1. Knowledge of Current Professional Laboratory Practice.
2. The experience must have demonstrated the use of knowledge, skills and abilities as a MT and may be paid or non-paid employment.
3. Graduate education and graduate degrees may be substituted as specified at each grade level. Education must have been from an accredited college or university in a field related to MT (e.g., biochemistry, chemistry, microbiology, immunology, hematology, immunohematology, biological science, physiology, allied health education, health systems administration, infection control and preventive medicine), which was accredited at the time the candidate completed the program.Grade Determinations. The following criteria must be met when determining the grade of candidates.
(1) GS-7 (Entry Level) Experience. None beyond the basic requirements.
(2) GS-9 (Full Performance Level)
(a) Experience. Must have 1 year of creditable experience equivalent to the next lower grade level, which is directly related to the position to be filled.
(b) Education. Must have Master's degree or 2 academic years of progressively higher-level graduate education in medical technology or directly related field.
(c) Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills and Abilities.
In addition to the experience or education above, the candidate must demonstrate the following KSAs:
1. Comprehensive knowledge of professional MT principles, practices, concepts and theories providing for sound independent work
2. Comprehensive knowledge of laboratory quality control and assurance procedures and principles of performance improvement in order to manage reagent and supply inventories and document control systems.
3. Knowledge of laboratory equipment and ability to maintain, troubleshoot and repair instrumentation.
4. Ability to plan, organize, set priorities, work as a team member and effectively complete assignments. References: VA Handbook 5005/72 Part II Appendix G24 Dated May 1,2 2014 The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-9. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is in the range of GS-7 to GS-9. Physical Requirements: Moderate lifting, 15-44 pounds, Moderate carrying, 15-44 pounds, Use of fingers, Both hands required, Walking (2 hours), Both legs required (one leg or foot may be compensated by prosthesis), Depth perception, Ability to distinguish basic colors, Ability to distinguish shades of colors, Hearing (aid permitted), Other (specify): Good distant vision in one eye and ability to read printed material
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration|